SMS marketing uses text messages to promote goods, services, or events. It is generally used alongside other marketing campaigns for best results, including social media and email newsletters. When implemented effectively, SMS marketing messages can be used to:
- Inform customers about a new product
- Ask for reviews and testimonials
- Offer new discounts or coupons
- Remarket services to prospects
- Remind about an upcoming event
SMS marketing is one of the most effective ways to reach potential and existing customers. Modern audiences are more comfortable with texts than phone calls, emails, or in-person visits and command some of the highest open rates in the industry.
One of SMS marketing's greatest strengths lies in personalization. Marketers can use identifying information to build a friendly rapport quickly. SMS campaigns are an excellent form of customer engagement that can build meaningful relationships with prospects and customers.
Strict guidelines regulate SMS promotions to protect phone numbers from spam or other abuse. Marketers are highly encouraged to register their phone numbers properly and abide by industry regulations:
- Provide customers an opportunity to opt-in or out of messages
- Clearly identify the business or brand
- Write all terms and conditions