A return and refund policy is a set of rules a retailer creates to manage how customers return and exchange unwanted, disliked, or defective merchandise they've purchased from your store. A return and refund policy tell customers what items can be returned and for what reasons, as well as the timeframe over which returns will be accepted.
What is a typical return and refund policy for eCommerce stores?
Why do eCommerce stores need a return and refund policy?
A return and refund policy is vital for online stores to build customer trust and buying confidence. It gives customers confidence that whatever they buy will be exactly what your website claims it to be . A refund and return policy is also an excellent way to show that you are willing to stand by your products should something go wrong.
How much does it cost to generate a return policy?
Our return and refund policy generator is free of charge.
How do I write a return policy?
When writing a return and refund policy for your store, you must include the following information to give customers a clear idea of what, how, and when they can return.
- Return window: The period of time within which a product must be returned
- Return resolution: The type of refund they will receive, e.g. store credit, exchange, full refund, partial refund, etc.
- Eligibility rules: Conditions the product must be in to be accepted for return
- Order details: The information customers need to bring in-store or send online for a refund (receipts, credit card, etc.)
- Shipping method: The modes through which customers can ship back returned items, e.g. return to a retail store, ship with the carrier of their choice, ship with a return label, etc.
- Shipping cost: Are returns with your store free or charged?
Is this return and refund policy suitable for small businesses?
Yes, it is suitable for businesses of all sizes and structures. But you may need to make changes to match business-specific needs and goals.